In 2021, Japan will host the ninth Pacific Islands Leaders Meeting (PALM9) in Mie Prefecture’s Shima City, where leaders of Pacific island countries will gather to exchange candid views on issues faced by the region. With the aim of strengthening its ties with Pacific island countries, Japan has hosted a PALM meeting every three years since 1997, with PALM8 most recently being held in 2018.
The public is invited to submit designs for a logo to represent PALM9, including in pamphlets, posters and other promotional and event-related materials. The design should evoke Japan’s friendly and prosperous relationship with the Pacific island countries, to which it is bound by geography, history and values.
Overview – Call for designs
- 1. Submissions are welcome from anyone, regardless of nationality, age, or place of residence.
- 2. Submissions must be received by November 30, 2020.
- 3. Please submit your logo by email to the Oceania Division, Asian and Oceanian Affairs Bureau, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 4. Judges selected by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will evaluate the designs and identify a winner to be used as the official logo for PALM9.
- 5. Results will be announced on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
How to submit your design
Attach your logo design to an email entitled “Logo Entry” and addressed to the Oceania Division, Asian and Oceanian Affairs Bureau, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (email@example.com). Be sure to include your name and affiliation in the body of the email, and please attach a brief explanation of your logo design. We regret that we cannot accept submissions by post.
- 1.Your logo should be sent as a JPEG, PDF or EPS file no larger than 3 MB and at a resolution of at least 300 dpi. It should fit on an A4 page when printed. (Formatting changes may be requested if necessary.)
- 2.The explanation of your logo design should be approximately 50 words long. Please do not include it in the email body, but attach it as a separate file. When the selected logo for PALM9 is announced, the explanation will be made public.
- 3.Please submit both colour and black-and-white versions of your design (no restrictions on number of colours, gradations, etc.).
- 4.You may submit as many logo designs as you wish.
- 5.No submitted logo designs or materials will be returned.
Points to note
- 1.Submitted logo designs must be new, not previously published anywhere, and must not infringe on copyrights, trademarks, etc., of any third parties.
- 2.Submissions that contain any of the following will be disqualified:
- A) content that is offensive,
- B) content that violates or might violate laws,
- C) content that does not meet the PALM goals of promoting Japanese diplomacy and friendly relations among Japan and the Pacific island countries,
- D) content promoting political or religious groups or positions,
- E) content that is culturally or socially insensitive,
- F) content that is for commercial purposes.
- 3.The selected design will be subject to any edits, alterations or processing necessary for use. In the event the logo is found to be unsatisfactory after the selection process, or if agreement cannot be reached as to revisions to the logo, the selected design will be withdrawn from use.
- 4.All rights to submitted designs and the copyright to the selected logo will belong to Japan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Those submitting designs agree to relinquish all rights and interests in the designs. In principle, submitted designs will not be altered other than to adjust size, convert to black-and-white, or to translate into Japanese or English.
- 5.The selected logo may be withdrawn from use if any information submitted with the design is later determined to be false.
- 6.The selected logo design in its final form will be distributed to parties authorized by Japan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and will be used in conjunction with the ninth Pacific Islands Leaders Meeting.
- 7.Personal information (other than name and affiliation) of those submitting logo designs will not be disclosed or offered to third parties without the designer’s permission.
- 8.Receipt of submissions will not be acknowledged, and authors of designs not selected will not be contacted. We regret that no inquiries concerning the judgment process can be accepted.
For more information
Please contact the Oceania Division, Asian and Oceanian Affairs Bureau, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (firstname.lastname@example.org).